Monday, August 19, 2013

Prologue: The Unexpected Art Educator

I had never thought I would become a teacher. When I was in primary school, whenever my teachers asked if anyone wanted to be a teacher, a number of my classmates would raise their hands but I never did.  That had never crossed my mind. In fact, I had not liked school that much.

After GCE 'O' levels, I entered National Junior College Art Elective Program and my new school life took a dramatic turn. I was totally immersed in that program, perhaps a little too much. I started to think that teaching would be something worth trying so I joined National Institute of Education to be trained as an art teacher.

When I first joined the profession, I was still very much an artist at heart. Well, I enjoyed (still do) teaching but I had thought I would teach art for a few years then I would quit to become a full time artist. I saw teaching as a way to sustain my art practice. But teaching grew on me over the years and I never took that U-turn. In hindsight, this journey in the Distinguished Fulbright Teaching Award would not have become reality if I had taken that U-turn.

And I Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment